Our Lizzy's Recipe: Autumn Risotto
A lovely warming risotto making use of brightly coloured pumpkin or squash. Cooked with local cider.
Serves 2 - Ready in 30 minutes
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of butternut squash or pumpkin cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 250g pearled spelt
- Large glass of dry cider
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Make the stock, and then place pan on a low heat. Heat the oil in a large pan. Sauté the butternut squash until it starts to brown. Add the onion and garlic, cook briefly.
- Add the spelt and a pinch of turmeric and stir until coated in oil, and then add the cider and cook for five minutes.
- Add two ladlefuls of stock and stir. Place a lid on top and cook on a medium heat, check and stir every five minutes, adding more stock as required. The spelt will take about 20 minutes to cook.
- When the spelt is cooked, add the spinach.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and season with salt and pepper.
For details of cookery classes see www.ourlizzy.com
or contact Lizzy on 01684 892 688