Our Lizzy's Recipe: Spiced Tea Loaf
This is great for a picnic, or to bake for a meet up with loved ones. It freezes well in slices.
Ready in just over an hour
Serves 8 -10
- 100g sunflower margarine
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of dried fruit
- 1 cup of cold tea
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
1. Grease and line a cake tin. Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180°.
2. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan; add sugar, mixed fruit and tea.
3. Boil, add bicarbonate of soda.
4. Cool, then add the flour and mixed spice.
5. Mix gently until all the ingredients are combined.
6. Spoon into the cake tin.
7. Bake for just over an hour until cooked.
The size of the cake depends on the size of the cup or mug you use; it doesn’t really matter as long as you use the same one throughout.
For details of cookery classes see www.ourlizzy.com or contact Lizzy on 01684 892 688. Lizzy also offers tailor made cookery sessions.