Our Lizzy's Recipe: Simple Simnel Cake
This is great for a picnic, or to bake for a meet up with loved ones. For an Easter treat top with marzipan to make a Simnel cake.
Ready in 1 1/2 hours | Serves 12
- 100g sunflower margarine
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of dried fruit
- 1 cup of cold tea
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 350g marzipan
1. Grease and line a 15cm/6 inch cake tin. Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180°C.
2. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan; add sugar, mixed fruit and tea.
3. Boil, add bicarbonate of soda.
4. Cool, then add the flour and mixed spice.
5. Mix gently until all the ingredients are combined.
6. Spoon into the cake tin.
7. Bake for just over an hour until cooked.
8. When the cake is cool, melt the apricot jam and brush onto the top of the cake
9. Roll out the marzipan, cut into a circle and top the cake. Roll the remaining marzipan into 12 balls and fix on top of the cake with apricot glaze.
For details of cookery classes and parties see www.ourlizzy.com or contact Lizzy on 01684 892 688. Lizzy also offers tailor made cookery sessions.