Our Lizzy Recipe: Malvern Pudding
An old English recipe which originated in Malvern. A lovely way to cook local apples.
Serves 4 to 6
Ready in 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb cooking apples
- 25g/1 oz granulated sugar
- 25g/1 oz margarine
- zest of half a lemon
- 600ml/1 pint custard
- 3 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- extra margarine (approx 15g)
1. Peel, core and slice the apples.
2. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and add the sliced apples.
3. Add the lemon zest and sugar and simmer until the apples are cooked.
4. Put the cooked apples in the bottom of a dish.
5. Preheat the grill 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
6. Make the custard and pour it over the top of the apples.
7. Mix the Demerara sugar and cinnamon together for the topping, and then sprinkle it over the top of the custard.
8. Dot the pudding with small pieces of margarine.
9. Place the pudding under a hot grill. Cook until it bubbles and the sugar is caramelised.
An Our Lizzy Gift Voucher makes a great Christmas present. For details of cookery classes and parties see www.ourlizzy.com or contact Lizzy on 01684 892 688